Saturday 11 February 2012

Second Day of School: Teaching Together





After a quick trip back home to work for a few days, I arrived back in Jamaica to continue teaching the endodontics course. The students were prepared and once again anxiously awaiting my return. We started at 8 am, which on island time translates to 8:45 am. This is something that I'm learning to adapt to. We immediately started going through rubber dam and its application then followed it up with tooth morphology and access opening. From there we went straight to clinic.  Unfortunately not all the students had their own rubber dams, clamps, punches or forceps. So as they say, we made lemonade out of lemons by improvising and making due with what was available for us. A quick show of hands let me know only two students had a full complement of supplies and so based on that, we split off into two groups where each of the students had an opportunity to apply rubber dam on their mannequin heads under my supervision. As the morning progressed, it was incredible for me to observe how the students actually became the teachers! They were able to help each other out with appropriate guidance and they had a great time doing it!!

This afternoon we are going to go on a hunt for burs and tomorrow we will start accessing the teeth that they collected over the last week. Stay tuned as this fantastic adventure continues. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you.

    Periodontists Connecticut

    ReplyDelete
  2. Momentum Missile Mayhem 2


    hey that's really a great post and i like this and thanks for sharing it with us!I have read a few of the articles on your website now because I was looking for information aboutgames App. and I really like your style of blogging.

    ReplyDelete